3.15.2010

Don't drink the Kool Aid.

We all remember right? That terrible incident in Jonestown where a psychotic Jim Jones convinced around 900 people to drink poisin-laced Kool Aid and kill themselves? Well that was through a little something called manipulation. Sure one could argue that he didn't force them to believe, and although it is true that some people did try to leave at times, a majority of them took part in the mass-suicide willingly.
I was home sick two weeks ago and I saw that Oprah had the family members of serial killers on her show, and although I don't watch that show (except the after-oscar one of course) I taped it. I watched it later that day, and it was verry insightful. Jim Jones junior was on the show, and it was through his words that I learnt all about the killings and the "people's temple". I was intrigued; pscyhology is very fascinating to me, and I've always been very... interested in serial killers. Anyways, watching the show had a really profound affect on me, and I just had to explain it to further the understanding of what I'm about to say.
 (for all the info on the killing just google Jim Jones and there'll be a wiki about it)
This is relevant because two nights ago, in Seattle, I had a dream similar to the Jonestown incident. In my dream there was a group of religous people in a church, led by  someone I will call Jane. Jane was nice enough, not my friend or anything, but a part of the church. Now I'm not sure what exactly went down with this church but they were very secretive and tightly-knit, and it was difficult to gain entrance. I  became friends with Jane so I could get an in for some reason. My good friend, we'll call him James, used to be good friends with Jane, and used to be part of her church. He left the church, and remained in contact with Jane, but he and I were a lot closer. Anyways, one day Jane told me there was a "dance" going on, but she said it suspicously so I was wary. I went to the dance and noticed security guards outside so I didn't go in. I decided to go to the coat check and see what was going on and I discovered that everyone in the church were going to kill themselves so they could have a clear path to heaven, and see God. They knew if they did it in good spirits then he wouldn't punish them. I tried to leave but the guards wouldn't let me, so I bullshitted some excuse about calling my parents to come get me, and left. I was terrified because I knew tons of people were about to be killed, but it was even worse when James left a message on my cell telling me he was going. He didn't know what they were going to do, and I had to stop it. This is where it gets a little fuzzy, and I honestly don't remember what happened exactly, but I stopped it from happening and then my dream ended.
Moral of the story: don't get involved with dodgy cult's/organizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment